Saturday, June 16, 2007

All about idols

Pblic life is full of idols. As a common man, I have made heroes out of people in public life. Be they politicians, film stars, sports personalities or even social workers. I invest them with super human traits in my own imagination and idolise them beyond the reality. So here is to our heroes and the tough act they have to follow.

Idols I’ve noticed, are perfect in form
Stoic in the face of sunshine and storm
In postures that lead to stiff necks and backs
Idols I’ve noticed, never relax.

Pedestals I’ve noticed further expose
Idols to… their idolatary woes.
Holding them aloft for the public eye
Pedestals I’ve noticed, are always too high.

Sculptors I’ve noticed live in dreamland
Creating fantasy from marble and sand
Limitations of flesh just do not exist
A sculptor I’ve noticed, is a perfectionist.

Romantics I’ve noticed are sculptors in parts
Making idols of those they love in their hearts.
Reality checks are a big compromise
So romantics, I’ve noticed are comfortable with lies.

No comments: